Monday, April 11, 2011

Me Gusta Guster!

If you can't tell by now, music is a HUGE part of my life.  No, I cannot carry a tune and no, I cannot play a single instrument; but neither of those things have an impact on my love for the art.  I fell in love with a band named Guster my freshman year at OU.  I saw them for the first time in 2000 at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas.  An unknown guitar player named, John Mayer, opened for them.  I loved their music prior to seeing them live, however, their live shows are so fun you can't help but love them more!  Little did I know that my future husband was at the same concert that night.  We would meet several months later and attend several Guster shows together. Nick has seen Guster in at least four states.  We have both lost count of how many Guster shows we've actually attended.   It's been five years since we have been to a Guster concert.  As far as I am concerned, that is five years too long.  Fortunately, we moved to the big city and Guster made it to Houston last week.  Our friends Tyler and Meghan went with us.  We had a great time.  It was a bit different than our college days of seeing them.  In college, we would have been standing in the general admission section trying to be in the  front row, but now we opted to sit in seats at the House of Blues.  It was a good call, we are a bit old to  rush the stage.
We ate dinner at the House of Blues before the show.  Much to our shock, Adam, Guster's base player, ate dinner right next to us!  I just could not control myself.  I had to get a picture with him.  I went up to him and said, "Adam, I've been coming to your shows for 11 years."  He said, "Rock on!"  I said, "Can I please have a picture with you?"  And he politely agreed...
I have to say, it certainly made my night!  Another thing that made my night was seeing my freshman year roommate, Jenny Dial!  We had a lot of fun in the dorms and OU and it is a great thing to be in the same city as her!
We actually sat down for the show!  That was such an odd feeling!
And of course, it was a fun show!  They played a lot of their new music, but they also played lots of old music and even brought their bongo drums along for some memorable performances.  They did not disappoint and this will not be our last Guster concert!

In case you are not familiar with Guster, here they are playing "Amsterdam" live.  Enjoy!

No comments: