Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Airedale and the Sippy Cup

Does anyone else have a three and a half year old Airedale Terrier that eats their daughter's sippy cups? I didn't think so. I am probably all alone on this one. Margo, our three and a half year old Airedale, is truly one of a kind. I knew when we chose an Airedale we were in for some mischief. I just did not know we would endure 3 1/2 years of it. I love her, I truly do. She is my first baby, my oldest child and well, a toot! Airedales are know as the clowns or jokers of the dog world. Margo is certainly that. She loves attention. She will take it no matter how she can get it, positive or negative.
Margo and Allison are truly best friends. They really do love each other. Honestly, Margo has this maternal/protecting love for Allison. We were walking last night and a lady came up and bent down to Allison's stroller to say "hello" and Margo went nuts. She calmed down, but she protected her baby. Though Margo protects her, she loves it when Allison gets in trouble too. She tells on her. When Nick or I tell Allison, "No," Margo barks! Last Saturday, I was planting bulbs in the flower bed. Nick was watching Allison. She was in her walker playing. I ran in to the house for a moment and Margo barked at me; not just a normal bark, but a "Hey Mom, Allison is bad and she was doing something" bark. I looked at Margo and said, "Margo, she is fine." Nick said, "Actually no she is not, she just got in trouble for opening cabinet doors." So, OK, Margo, you were right...again. That is the type of relationship the girls have; they are siblings. I know people have different views on how one should raise pets, but ours is a child. I know, go ahead, think I am crazy now. Nick used to think that, now he is just as bad as me. He is Margo's father.
Lately, Margo has let her sippy cup fetish grow out of control. She takes the cups from Allison, runs off and destroys them. The cups are $5 each. We have lost five thus far to the 75 pound beast. Here is a picture of the one from this morning:


Sad thing, this one is mild. Typically, they are unrecognizable. It is just chaos when the scene occurs. Margo takes the cup and runs, Allison cries and I have to spend another $5 on a cup at Wal Mart. Yes, I know what you are thinking, "Kelly, why do you allow situations where Margo can take the cup?" Well, I really do not. Either Allison drops it without me noticing and Margo takes it or sometimes, Margo just takes it from her (those are the times it causes a crying fit). I do not really know what to do now. Margo has graduated, yes, GRADUATED from TWO obedience schools. She still has yet to mind me or Nick. She was pretty manipulative while in school. She would be a terror at home. We would take her to obedience class and she would act perfect. The instructor would always say, "Kelly, she minds so well! I don't know what you are talking about!" I could feel Margo smirking at me every time that happened. Can dogs smirk? I think Margo can.
Anyway, I am at a loss. I am sure Wal Mart and the sippy cup manufacturer love me. Margo is in doggy jail right now. I do not know how long her sentence will be. I am sure she will be released very soon and up to her old tricks again.

I love her with all my heart. I truly do. I just wish she grow tired of sippy cups. Just a public service announcement to those considering an Airedale, "Be prepared and be patient!"
Happy Wednesday! Halloween is almost here!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly....as if keeping up with a toddler isn't enough! Now the sippy cup bandit! You could get some of the Sigg type cups, or the metal cups with straws, I think Thermos makes the ones we have? We get them at HEB? It would almost be impossible for her to dent them, although not as fun to chew and drink from for Big Al? Hmm...

Spencer's Take Singapore said...

Sigg? I will have to look into that! Thanks for the tip! I bet I can order them. Our Wal Mart is not "Super" in Borger, so selection is thin. But UPS and I? We get along very well!

Anonymous said...

ha! I love Margo. Maybe Truman is really an Airedale?? He doesn't mind either of us EVER, but my dad will randomly show up and tell him to come, and he obeys immediately. I think we need more stern-sounding voices! I can't wait to see Truman with a brother or sister. I know if he has a partner in crime he's going to be a total terror...

Taylor-Made Wife said...

bahahahaha!!! This had me cracking up. Not because I am evil and wish you the worst, but because I totally understand your problem. What a toot!!! And BTW- Austin and I use "momma" and "daddy" when talking to our dogs... "Rilee, go see Daddy", "Koonboy, give Momma kisses"...pathetic.

Kimberly said...

Too funny! I have a friend with her second airedale. They are so sad it does not have the big personality of their first. In fact, out of the family of four (humans) it will only play with the father, and its play is very predictable. The father is a VERY type A Attorney. The dog has his same personality. It is funny to witness.

Have a great Halloween. Tripp and Gary are at the Univ. of Arkansas for the weekend, and the other two have parties to attend! We will be attending the TCU game though before our trick or treating!!

Go Frogs!
xxx kim