Last week, on November 2, my friend Tiffany said, "I think I am going to have a garage sale...on this Saturday, November 7, wanna join?" OK, I knew I needed to get some things in this sale. Our house (especially with Allison) is not made to hold a wardrobe like mine. Plus these things sitting in the closet might be someone's treasure and they could make me money! It was a win/win! Until I realized I would have to actually have to part with these clothes I have fallen (and stayed) in love with oh so many years ago. I had several Carrie Bradshaw moments last week. I would price something, tear up and have to change the Pandora station because somehting from that "era" of that piece of clothing would come on. I was a wreck. I know you think I am crazy, but for some reason, these clothes, shoes and objects have feelings. I loved them at one time, I truly did. For the record, I had a complete rack of my clothes, a table of PJs, lots of other random goodies and THIRTY NINE pairs of shoes in the garage sale. Yes, you read that correctly THIRTY NINE pairs of shoes.
Let's take a look at my past life that is now living reincarnated in some other lucky girl's world....
These silver Chinese Laundry shoes were my high school prom shoes. Yes, I said HIGH SCHOOL PROM. I moved these shoes from Fort Worth to Norman. While in Norman they went from the dorm to the sorority house to a rent house and to an apartment. Then after college, they went to Nick's and my first home together and then three years ago; they came to the Texas Panhandle. I can't remember ever wearing them except to my senior prom, but they are gone now, hopefully on some other girl's dancing feet!
I wore these pretty black Ann Taylor shoes on my two party day of RUSH at OU. Yes, if you are counting that was NINE years ago. I wore a very pretty raw silk maroon Ann Taylor dress with them. These little shoes took me all the way to North Greek to the Kappa house, then to South Greek to the Pi Phi house. When it was all said and done, they took me right back to Kappa! Honestly, I think I wore these more than once. I bet to a date party or something, but they were bought for RUSH and walked me to the house with the "key to my heart!"
Speaking of Kappa, here are some Kappa treasures that stayed in our home way too long...
While we are talking about college, here are some other treasures. I bought these cute flannel PJs when I was a sophomore at OU. Three other sweet girls had a pair just like them. I bought them for my Kappa Little Sis, Anya. She is expecting her first baby in December and is out West Texas way! I loved these PJs, but really, they are eight years old. I can probably part.
It took almost everything in me to sell this purple shirt from The Limited. I met John Mayer in this shirt. He played at a Kappa/Pi Kap party at OU my freshman year. At that time, he was just a guy with a guitar. I stood on the front row and before he played "Neon," he said, "Let's break some strings on this one." I was so close to the stage, I said to him, "John if you break a string, can I have it?" He said, "It is not if, it is when my dear and yes you may have it." I still have that string. I also have a picture of a sweaty John Mayer with his arm around me in this shirt. I wore it with a black Banana Republic skirt that also went to a new a home in the garage sale. As I said in previous posts, I will always have a soft spot for John Mayer. How was I supposed to know that six months later I would meet Nick with a group of friends going to a John Mayer concert.
Speaking of Nick, he gave me this clock on our first marriage anniversary. He followed the Anniversary guide and gave me the modern gift of a clock. I love that clock. I always have and I always will. Unfortunately, that clock was a helpless victim of Allison's quest for independence. She grabbed the clock hands without us realizing one time and well, that item is for sale "as is."
And here is what the garage sale looked like....Have you ever seen so much stuff?!
Seriously, we could open a store! But the most amazing thing...my THIRTY NINE pairs of shoes. Yes, these are all mine!
Luckily, I had my sweet other garage sale divas (Tiff, Susan and Shaynna) to help me through! I also have a sweet husband and a cute little Sooner too!
So, we were pretty successful, but not successful enough...we are having it again this weekend. Just a little more agony for this hoarder! Thanks girls for the intervention!

5 comments:
Kelly, this is my first time to ever read your blog and I think that it was GREAT!! You story is true for most women our age, married or single. I just moved into a HUGE house that I thought I'd never fill. Um yea, once all of the bags were unpacked there wasn't enough room to sneeze:o) You're such a sweetheart and I look forward to checking back more often! I wish that you lived close- I could have contributed to the sale AND we would be able to spend some time together catching up! Have a great week and give your hubby and adorable baby girl lots of kisses from DFW!!!
It must be genetic... Now is probably not the time to tell you how many times I have had dresses remade. Formal party dresses from high school and college. Think of our age dif. Yes, I have great taste and in party dresses I buy quality, QUALITY! One Oscar I've had re-done twice.... Dress shoes don't last, but boots!!!! Resole. No one ever questions my clothing buys around here because they know I shop like a European. I buy things I love that will last.
That being said, Good job. My hubby would love a little closet space! Maybe next year when Tripp is gone he can have his!
Don't ever get rid of your Kappa stuff. You don't want some random somebody flashin those letters!!!???
xxx kim
Both Kims, Y'all are so sweet! And Kim Wells, don't worry, I couldn't handle for the KKG stuff to go! It's safe!
Man, I feel your pain. I have a serious internal battle with the emotional side of me that wants to keep high school t-shirts(yep, I found our baseball style Senior shirt a few months back...still in my drawer) and the anal side of me that literally has nervous breakdowns when clutter takes over. Needless to say the nervous breakdowns usually win with bags and bags of clothes and SHOES headed to our local charity. I'm proud of you for getting it done. Doesn't it feel so great and free-ing to have a little less crap?!?!?
Oh my! I bet you feel so free now! That is a LOT of shoes :)
Post a Comment