We actually just attended an awesome surprise party for our friend James last week. He turns 40 in two days. His wife, Susan, planned this Mardi Gras theme surprise party for a year! There were 65ish people to help James ring in 40! I put my camera away in my purse for most of the evening, but let me at least show you a picture of the gorgeous cake...
Gee, guess you can't guess who made that beautiful and delicious work of art...that's right...Singapore Bound Tiff! Anyway, the party was a blast and we didn't make it home until close to 3:00am...that's always a good sign, right?
OK, so back to Nick...what do you do for a boy who is not crazy about birthdays, but deserves the whole world?! I have been worried about this since February 25, 2009...what do I do about 30!? I think I told you here how Nick and I met at a John Mayer concert in October 2001. Well, anyway, for our first Valentine's he took me to his Sig Ep date party. He gave me my present before the party. First was a box of chocolates that he custom put together, second were kissing bear stuffed animals, then he gave me a very sweet card. In the card was a gift certificate he made on the computer for 2 tickets to John Mayer for that March in Dallas. I remember the certificate said stuff like, "Value not to exceed 5,000 Kisses," "Not redeemable for cash only acts of affection." It was so cute, creative and we had a great time at the concert the following month! That is one of my favorite memories of our time together. I just couldn't believe I was dating a boy so sweet to take the time to make gift certificates and things like that!
Well, this past December, I was on Ticket Master's website and noticed John Mayer's tour included an Oklahoma City performance. Well, I knew that might just be a perfect gift for a 30 year old boy! I bought the tickets and you are going to be shocked...KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT THE LAST THREE MONTHS!!! Seriously, can you believe that?! I searched for the original gift certificate Nick gave me so many years ago, but could not find it...I had to make my own...
I think he was truly surprised and excited! Even though John has not been the nicest guy lately, he still puts on a good show. I think it was the perfect gift for a boy who does not like to make too much out of his birthday! Although, Nick did have a request for his birthday, his mother's strawberry cake...
It was very easy to make....here is the recipe...
Nancy's Strawberry Cake
Mix in large bowl
1 box white cake mix
1 box dry strawberry Jell-O
Add
1/2 C. water
3/4 c. Melted Butter
4 beaten eggs
1/2 C. frozen strawberries with juice (pureed)
Bake at 350 degrees in greased and floured pan until firm to touch 30-45 minutes
Icing
Melt 1/2 stick Butter
Add
1/2 C frozen strawberries with juice (pureed)
1 box powdered sugar
Put on hot cake.
We finished up the evening with a trip to the good ole' Country Club with friends...Allison even got to sit in a "big girl chair" to enjoy her popcorn...
Happy Birthday, Sweet Nick and to many, many more! Your girls LOVE you!!!

2 comments:
For those of us not in the know, I think you should post your best gardening tips. You have such beautiful landscaping and I have no real inspiration. Here's to hoping!
Adrian
Ha! Thanks, Adrian!! Oh I will! Just working on the yard, waiting for bulbs to bloom and pansies to rejuvenate (we'll see on that one!). Make you a deal...I will garden for you, you bake/cook for me!! Sounds fair to me! :)
Post a Comment