This American Life is hosted by a man named Ira Glass. Each week they choose a theme and feature several stories related to that theme. Sound simple? Well, it's not. These stories are truly unique. You never know what you are going to get. One moment you laugh, the next you cry, but with every hour you listen; you change into an arguably better person. It is so refreshing.
When we moved to Borger, I was extremely sad to leave KGOU. Our NPR in West Texas is a little lacking compared to KGOU. I understand why; KGOU has the support of a major university behind it. That is extremely instrumental in a public radio station flourishing. They receive more money, thus provide more programming. West Texas NPR is good, it just offers fewer shows. This American Life is broadcast in West Texas at 3:00 on Sunday afternoons. Most of the time, I cannot pick up our NPR station in our house. But there is a solution, This American Life is available on a podcast. I download it every week. I typically choose to listen to my special treat during a long run. It truly is incredible. There is a television series of This American Life on Showtime. Nick and I rented season one on DVD a few weeks ago. It is very good, but there is something about the radio show that just moves my heart. I urge each of you to give it a try. I can guarantee, it will reach you in some way. Take a listen to This American Life....it will make your week.
If it is your first time listening, click on this link for some episode favorites. The "puppy" one is on there, it is called, "Starting from Scratch." Also, listen to last week's episode, "Going Big." The first act is about Geoffrey Canada and his solution to urban poverty in America. It is truly life changing. We are so blessed to have people trying and actually succeeding in making our world a better place. I have yet to find the Julia Sweeney one, if I ever do, I will let you know...it was classic!

2 comments:
OH MY GOSH Kelly I have a passionate love for This American Life AND Ira Glass as well. Did you see and hear the episode about the pet bull they tried to clone? Did you see the episode about "John Smith"? I love love that show and I do the same thing - I download the podcast and don't let myself listen unless I'm running! It ALMOST makes me want to run!!
I saw the episode with the bull..was it Chance? And he kept attacking his owner!? Wow! I don't think I know the "John Smith" one. I wish I could find the Julia Sweeney one! You would love it! It was so funny, but it was literally five years ago. I have looked everywhere for it! So funny! Listen to the puppy one! :)
Post a Comment