I like Latin Culture! I mean, I love zumba http://www.zumba.com/us/! I go to zumba probably five times a week. Zumba is a Latin/Salsa/Hip Hop aerobics class and I LOVE IT! I love Mexican food and margaritas too! So when my month rolled around to host our KENO group at my house, luckily it fell on Cinco de Mayo! We had a fiesta to celebrate the Mexicans beating the French!
Well, let me tell you about KENO first. Before I moved to Borger, I had never heard of KENO. After living in Borger for about a year and a half, I was asked to join a KENO group. Our KENO group consists of 12 women. We meet the first Tuesday of every month. Every person has a month and hosts the group at their house. Each month we pick a theme and bring a $10 gift. So for example, March was bring a spring break item, December was Christmas, etc. What was Kelly's theme you might ask....ALCOHOL of course! For $10 you can bring a little bit of good stuff or a whole lot of bad stuff! For my gift (which I ended up winning...yea!), I brought a little of the good stuff. I brought a small bottle of Sin Zin wine http://www.avvwine.com/scripts/display_product.php?product_id=27 and a small bottle of schmitt-soehne riesling http://www.schmitt-soehne.com/mainframe.asp?lang=de&e1=634. I love them both! There is probably only about one glass in each small bottle, but that is great! Anyway, so we bring a gift and $2 for the pot. The hostess serves dinner and dessert. We play KENO which is kind of like BINGO with playing cards; that is probably the easiest way to describe the game. It is not too difficult because we can still talk, eat and drink while playing! It is just a fun night once a month for the girls. There are no husbands, no children, etc.
For our Cinco de Mayo celebration, my dear husband grilled delicious fajitas for us! We had fajitas, homemade tortillas (not homemade by me though), beans, rice, guacamole, pico de gallo (that was homemade by me!), wonderful margaritas and key lime pie with raspberry sauce (another "homemade by Kelly" item). Tiffany Ristroph gave me her Pappadeaux's Key lime pie recipe. It turned out really well. However, my favorite part of dinner....Nick's outfit! Nick had to scurry out once he finished grilling, but he did grill in a poncho. It was absolutely fabulous! Tiffany wore flowers in her hair and brought some for me to wear as well so we dressed up too! Speaking of things Tiffany brought...we decorated for the fiesta with decorations that the Ristrophs' own! Thank you, Tiff! Everything looked great! Our friend, Valerie, calls the Ristroph house a "swap meet!" If you need it, they have it! They are so sweet and generous to let us borrow!
Overall, it was a success! After three pitchers of margaritas, all the KENO girls went home, but we had a great time!
Pappadeaux Key Lime Pie with Raspberry Sauce
Ease of Cooking: Medium Difficulty
Serving Size: 8
Notes:
You can not go wrong with Pappadeux, this is a wonderful Key Lime Pie.
Ingredients:
1 - 8 oz Cream Cheese (softened)
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2/3 C. Cold Water
3 Egg Yolks (beaten)
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Flour
5 Tbsp. Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice
5 Tbsp. Key Lime Juice or Reconstituted Lime Juice
1 tsp. Lime Zest (very fine)
Preparation:
Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy add sweeten condensed milk, beat mixture until completely blended. Use a 2 quart sauce pan to whisk egg yolks with water, add salt and flour. Stir constantly, completely mixing flour into liquid. Add lime zest, Roses Lime Juice and Key Lime juice. On low heat, or in a double boiler whisk the egg mixture and stir constantly until mixture thickens resembling pudding in texture and thickness. When egg and flour mixture is thickened add cream cheese. Whisk constantly taking care not to scorch the bottom of pan. Stir until pie filling starts to thicken and is completely mixed. When the filling is thick pour into the prepared pie shell. Chill pie serveral hours before serving.
Pie Crust
3/4 C. Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 C. Ground Pecans ( finely ground )
3 Tbs. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
4 Tbs. Butter Melted
Mix all together in a bowl, add melted butter blend well. Press into a buttered pie pan. Place in a preheated at 350 degrees oven for 7 - 10 minutes. When crust is slightly golden remove from oven and cool.
Raspberry Sauce
3/4 C. Raspberry Preserves
1/4 C. Water
Mix in sauce pan until preserves reaches boiling point. Simmer for 4 minutes remove and pour through a fine strainer removing seeds and chill.
Sauce may be used to garnish pie when served.
Jon and Nichole’s Perfect Margarita
1 Can Minute Maid Limeade
2/3 Can GOOD Tequila (I use Sauza Hornitos)
1/3 Can Patron Citronge
3 Cans of water
An awesome recipe from our friends, Jon and Nichole Kobert...careful, they go down easily!

No comments:
Post a Comment