Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ben Folds Bragging Rights

There are very few artist I love as much as Ben Folds. I loved him pre "Brick" when he was still with the five, even though there were only three of them! Anyway, I love him! I own every album. I even own albums of his song by other people, like his University A Cappella album, which is great by the way! Nick and I were fortunate enough to see him in concert in Norman in 2005. He was amazing!
On my birthday, I was getting ready for zumba class and listening to Kidd Kraddick in the Morning on the Internet. Even though he is syndicated in Amarillo, I always listen to his show via 106.1 Kiss FM on the Internet. My parents are still in Fort Worth and I love to catch the local D/FW news on the show. Plus, I started listening to Kidd Kraddick on Kiss FM at age 10. I feel a little bit like the members of the show are family and I do not want to miss chunks of the show due to syndication. Anyway, while listening, Kidd announced that Ben Folds would be touring and coming to play with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra on September 30. He said tickets did not go on sale until June 12, but they had a pair of tickets to the first person who could call in and answer a Ben Folds trivia question. Well, the trivia question was, "Finish this statement: Way to __________." "NORMAL!!!!!!" The answer was "WAY TO NORMAL!!!" "Way to Normal" is the title of Ben's album he released last September. That was it! It was my birthday...I was going to win the tickets. I was calling in with the land line phone on one ear and my cell phone on the other! Finally, I got through! The girl answered, "Kidd Kraddick in the Morning." I said, "Yes, It's my birthday and normal! Did I win?!" The girl was really nice. She wished me a happy birthday and explained the tickets were already won by another caller. I asked if they would be giving away anymore. "I'm not sure. Sorry," she said. I was heart broken, but I was going to Ben Folds. Six hours away...who cares?! I was going!
I called the Dallas Symphony and the helpful associate there explained that tickets would not be available until 9:00am on Friday. I harassed Nick about going, of course, he knew Ben Folds would make my year! He said we could go! On Friday morning, we bought the tickets! Not just any tickets...third row tickets! I am so excited! Watch out Ben, here we come!

No comments: