Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Father's Day Treat

I had a brilliant plan to make Nick Martha Stewart's Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie Cookies for Father's Day. I read that these cookies were making a comeback and were hip! I thought they would be fun to make and I can't think of anyone who loves peanut butter more than Nick.
Allison and I loaded up and went to the grocery store and when I came home, my brain suddenly kicked on. My oven has been broken for two months now. I do not think I ever got over my "pregnancy brain." Seriously, what was I thinking?! Nick has yet to even look at the oven. We have been living on grilled food and salads for supper. I could not believe I took my 8 month old princess to the store for ingredients for cookies that we will not be making in the near future.
I then decided to make my lemons into lemonade. Nick loves No Bake Cookies. I searched for a recipe that I would have all the ingredients in the house already; because I am not taking an 8 month old to the store...again! Luckily, I found one!



The ingredients were simple. That is always refreshing.

Luckily, I had my assistant chef in her carrier on me. She helped quite a lot!



The cookies turned out well. As you can see, I added some icing squiggles to jazz them up because they are not necessarily the prettiest of cookies!




Try them out for yourself! They were very simple! Also if anyone makes Martha's Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies let me know how they turn out. I plan to have an oven again one day!

No Bake Cocoa Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
3 cups quick cooking oats

Directions:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cocoa, sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 1 minute.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the salt, vanilla, oats and peanut butter.
3. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Allow cookies to cool for at least 1 hour.

2 comments:

Practical Traci said...

That is totally something I would do!

Anonymous said...

Ooh remember the no-bake cookies at the Kappa house? These look exactly like them! Those were half the reason for my 30-pound weight gain...

I make Martha's vanilla whoopie pies for Drew all the time - they are his most favorite cookie ever! They're tremendous!