Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Green Chile Stew

Nick and I LOVE New Mexico Mexican food.  Whether we go to Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Ruidoso, we can easily eat their delicious Mexican food three times (or more) a day.  The big difference between New Mexico Mexican Food and Tex Mex is the wonderful fresh roasted green chilies.  Nick and I saw a man roasting them fresh and selling them on the side of the road yesterday.  You have to love the proximity of West Texas to New Mexico.  We couldn't resist, so we bought a half bushel. Yes, you read that correctly.  I don't exactly know how much a bushel is, but I know a half bushel is A LOT.  The man roasted them fresh in front of us.  He made them "hot".  Our choices were medium, hot and dynamite.  Nick would have gladly taken the dynamite, but hot was a great compromise.  We let them steam in their bag for a bit then prepared several of them for the freezer.
We decided our first adventure would be green chili stew.  You can find the recipe by clicking here.  Just in case you were wondering, it was WONDERFUL.  We used turkey breast instead of beef or pork, and it was amazing.
It was a little too spicy for Miss Allison to try, but Nick and I enjoyed every bite. So, if you ever see a man selling fresh roasted green chilies on the side of the road, try the stew.  It's great!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm!!! I am gonna have to try this out! Sounds delish!

The Daugherty Family said...

Yeah for you!!! NM green chile is the best! Not even close to that tex mex stuff! :)

Courtney said...

This looks awesome! We've been grilling almost all summer since it has been so hot (can't bear to turn on the oven or stove) but I'm definitely ready for chili!